Sunday, April 18, 2010

y0ga n00b

Today I decided to step a little out of my comfort zone and try out my very first yoga class! And you know what? It was great! I didn’t die (of pain OR embarrassment) and by the time I left I was feeling pretty good.

I went to a class at The Yoga Sanctuary, and I dragged along a few lady friends for moral support (and, you know, to be available for carrying me home, if necessary.) They all have a decent amount of yoga experience but I also knew them all BEFORE they started practicing and therefore I know for a fact that they were once as uncoordinated and unflexible as me. So that helped. :)

We did an easy and laid-back Hatha class, and there was very little that was too hard for me, but at the same time, I did find my muscles shaking on several occasions! I wouldn’t say it was a really great calorie burn BUT I would love to get the kind of muscle tone that regular yoga folks seem to have, so I’m going to keep at it for awhile.

Plus it was super cool to see my friends in that context, you know? My friend Jen does a KICKASS headstand and I was so impressed with her! I can’t wait till I can do headstands! And hey, you know what? I believe that some day I will. What the hell, right? Look at everything else I’ve tackled over the last year and a half.

So I won’t be calling myself a ‘yogi’ anytime soon (except maybe the picnic-basket-loving-bear kind), but I think I’m going to make this part of my routine.

It’s good to try new things!