Thursday, December 2, 2010

reverb 10: writing.

Today's Reverb 10 Prompt:

December 2Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)

Funnily enough, I didn't get around to writing this post until just now. Why? Because I have one giant secret time suck that I'm about to share with you.

It's a little thing called World of Warcraft, and it's my nerdy little secret.

Shaun and I have been playing together for a couple of years now, and it's still a fun evening when we can sit down and quest for a couple of hours. And you see, there's a new expansion coming out next week, (some updates are already being made) and other parts of the internet that I frequent are all abuzz, and my (certain, nerdy) coworkers are all abuzz, and I am thinking just a litttttle too much about dragons these days. That's totally normal right?

What's weird though is that in general I'm not a 'gamer' (unless you count playing Bejeweled on my iPhone.) And I'm not typically a fan of the fantasy genre -- I can't sit through Lord of The Rings, and I despise most fantasy novels. But this game sucked me in from the first time I played it, back when Shaun and I were first dating. 

The game is a mixed blessing when it comes to weightloss, I must say. It definitely keeps me from snacking -- I have been known to bring a bowl of something into the living room while I play and only notice it again two hours later, completely untouched. So there's that, which is good, but there's also this: I do nothing but sit on my ass all evening when I'm playing. It is pretty much the most inactive you can be without being dead.

So: Can I eliminate it? Yes. Do I want to? No. My new goal is fun, remember? And I'm not embarrassed (well, maybe just a little) to say that these days, playing WoW with Shaun and the boys from my office is good fun. 

Do you have any nerdy little secrets? Are you embarrassed by them? I will also admit that I have a huge crush on Wil Wheaton. And that I've watched all seven seasons of Buffy about four times. Oh, and that I read The Hobbit in grade 5 just because I had a crush on a boy who liked it. (Though I guess that doesn't count as nerdy so much as boy-crazy.)