Saturday, November 1, 2008

about me.

I'm a cake lover, and a weight loser! What more is there to say?

I live in Toronto with my boyfriend and our two cats. The boyfriend's name is Shaun, and the cats' names are Beezus and Zack Morris, though they're more commonly referred to as Poo Butt and Le Poo, respectively. Shaun is mostly always referred to as Shaun.

I work as a writer / new media coordinator.

some history.

I have been unhappily fat my whole life, honestly for as far back as I can remember. I know I weighed over 200 lbs in highschool, and even before that I remember having to wear these terrible old lady clothes because nothing else fit. I used to lie in bed at night and dream about carving off parts of my body, just slicing off these huge chunks of fat. Blech.

Just before university, I managed to lose about 20 lbs, and I graduated highschool around 185 lbs. That's the lowest weight I remember ever being, by the way. Then I went away to university in Halifax, and I somehow managed to gain 50 lbs in 8 months. I am not kidding! Who does that? I mean, besides baby horses? I came home after a year of school weighing 235 lbs.

I maintained that pretty much through the next few years of school, and by the time I finished up I was 240 lbs. I got my first real job, and decided to tackle 'the weight thing'. I did Weight Watchers, (though just on my own, no meetings), and I lost about 35 lbs. I got down to 204 lbs. I loved everything! I was so close to "onederland"! Then what happened?

ERRRRRRCH - KABLOOOOOOO (yes, that is the crash and burn sound.)

I got laid off from my job. Which meant I was broke and depressed. Which meant (obviously!) brownies and potato chips!

Eventually I parlayed my unemployment into a freelance writing career. I wrote, I travelled, I did a ton of fun things, and I don't regret much about those years of my life. But food and health were not high on the priority list, and over the next few years, I started gaining the weight back.

In 2004 I moved to Toronto, and I took a "temp" job in an accounting office. You know, just until I got my freelancing stuff back in order. You know what happened, right? FOUR YEARS later, I was still there. I wasn't doing any writing. I had moved into a basement apartment with the two cats, and I ate a lot and drank a lot and partied a lot. More weight.

In the late summer of 2007, I met Shaun, and everything changed. Suddenly I wanted better for myself. I wanted more. It's not because meeting a guy made me realize I deserved more or anything like that, please, I am SO not that person. I guess it's just ... hmm, when you meet the person you think you want to spend the rest of your life with, you actually start thinking about the rest of your life. It's not such an abstract thing anymore.

So in 2008, I decided it was time to get my proverbial "ducks" in a "row". I quit my crappy job and decided to go back to writing. Strangely, my new job (as a writer) paid more than my old job (in accounting), so that also allowed me to get a lot of my financial stuff in order. By the end of 2008, my weight was the only "duck" not yet in that "row". But by then I was bigger than I ever was, and to be honest, I had sort of stopped thinking that it was possible for me. I was trying to get used to the idea that I'd always be fat.

But then I saw a picture of myself, and I realized: I had to make it possible. No way was I living like this anymore. I joined Weight Watchers, and I started this blog.

I guess that's it! The story from there is chronicled in the archives.

about this blog.

The name "a cake for a wife" is actually a play on the name "a cat for a wife", which was a web comic I used to make about my cat. (It's true. Sadly they're no longer online.) It comes from the lyrics of a Pedro The Lion song called The Longest Winter. The song is basically about growing old and lonely, and it asks "will you spend your whole life / in a studio apartment / with a cat for a wife?"

I dunno, one day I just kind of realized that FOOD was the major relationship I had -- that I was going to grow old and lonely with cake. I decided to change that, and this blog was born.

As a side note, it's actually an incredibly depressing song. I do not recommend listening to it. Ok, I warned you.

The illustration of me on that's on the blog header was done by my boyfriend. He is super talented! And knows that he has to make me look cute. That is a winning combination!