Thursday, January 6, 2011

sugar in my coffee, sugar in my tea


My week back on track is going swimmingly, how about you guys?

Cutting out sugar is actually going really well. I don’t intend to do this forever, but I felt like I needed a week away from the stuff to break out of that crappy cycle. The one thing I’m still eating this week is fruit, and even some dried fruit. I know that stuff can have a lot of sugar too but I feel like it’s different than other added sugars, you know?

The one thing I’m the most proud of this week is that I stopped putting Splenda in my coffee. I typically have two coffees a day, with two Splendas each. I would often think about cutting that out, and once in awhile I would do just one Splenda, but for some reason I never ‘dared’ to try my coffee without at least that one sweetener. I’m not sure why I was so worried – I guess I thought I wouldn’t like it, but it’s not like I couldn’t grab a couple Splendas for the road and add them in later if I was really finding it intolerable. But I just had this weird little block about it, like I won’t be able to do it, so why even try?

Now, I’ll be honest, I don’t love the unsweetened coffee. After this week is over, I’m not sure what I’ll do – if I’ll try to persevere and learn to love unsweetened coffees, or if I’ll just return to one little Splenda packet, or maybe try to get into honey or raw sugar or something else a little more natural. I’m honestly not sure. But the cool thing is I tried something even though I didn’t think it would work for me. I have always been very ‘set in my ways’, which in some ways is good, but there are a few habits I just never thought I could break (and wasn’t even sure I wanted to.) But there’s no harm in trying, right?

I snuck a peak at the scale this morning, and things are definitely moving in the right direction. Just need to tackle the weekend, and I’ll be home free. Having one perfect week under my belt always makes me feel so great and like I can do anything, so I’m determined to wake up on Monday morning with no regrets. 

PS: Speaking of coffee, did you guys hear that Starbucks is changing its logo? I don't like it. To me, Starbucks is more about the typeface than the mermaid chick. Their font is so recognizable that sometimes I see it in other places / on other brands and still immediately think "Starbucks". Whereas I don't even think I could even have described the mermaid chick without looking at my cup. Very strange decision, I thought.