Monday, May 23, 2011

floating in outdoor space.

Our house closes on May 31!!! Can you believe that? In a week, we'll be homeowners. Not going to lie -- my mind is a little bit blown.

One of the things I LOVE about our place is that we actually have some outdoor space. Not a lot, mind you -- this IS downtown Toronto afterall -- but we have an enclosed back patio AND a balcony. (Actually, we're part of a townhouse complex, and we're the only ones that have that much space - all the other units only have the patio. We got lucky!)

Having outdoor space means I've been haunted psyched about the idea of gardening and outdoor decorating.

I got my herbs started about two weeks ago, and they aren't dead yet, so I'm considering this a pretty good achievement.

We've got:

 Left to right: chives, tarragon, rosemary, thyme and dill. 

As well as:


Left to right: peppermint, spearmint, and basil.

Keep on keeping on, little buddies. You can do it!

I also randomly bought a fern. I have no idea why! I was at Home Depot and briefly became possessed. I was like, "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS." 


Haha! Well, ferns are nice, I guess.

I've also been thinking about what exactly to DO with our outdoor space. This is what we're starting with:


This is the back patio, as seen from our living room. I think this photo makes it look a little longer than it is, but it's a good idea. It's basically a pen at the moment, but I think it has potential. 

Here's a view facing the opposite direction: 


We're inheriting the barbecue and table/chairs from the sellers, so those are staying, and you can see the fern peeking out from the side of the BBQ.  We're also keeping that long black bench. My bike will be moved.

Of course, there's this big piece of furniture to contend with as well:


No idea what to do with that. Nothing to do but chuck it, I guess. Hee! 

What I'd really like to do with this space is some kind of sectional sofa-type seating, over in that corner where my bike is.


I really want something cozy and friendly, especially since we already have a table and chairs at the other end. 

These pictures have been my inspiration -- how cute would something like this be?


Love!!

Then of course we have the balcony. I'm totally stumped on that one. My herbs are up there right now because it gets full glorious baking hot sun during the day. So I'm thinking maybe lounge chairs for sunning? I don't know!

This is what it looks like when you first step out the door: 


And this is looking to your left: 


This is standing at the far end and looking back towards the door: 


And this is a jail-break in progress: 


I purposefully didn't bother tidying anything up, so these are true 'before' pictures.  I doubt I'll have everything finished this summer, but I'm anxious to see how it evolves. I mean, it can only get better, right?

Unless I just buy more and more ferns. That might be scary.