Thursday, June 2, 2011

abcdefood

I found this on A Merry Life and thought it would be fun to do here. As you know, I love to talk about food


A is for Apple, what’s your favorite variety?
Honeycrisp for the win! Since those are available for such a short time though I most frequently buy Gala.

B: is for Bread, regardless of nutrition, calories, or whole grains what is your favorite type to have a nice big piece of?
It would depend on what I'm eating. Rye is awesome with mustard and sliced meats, but I admit that if I'm just eating BREAD you can't top a big old whole hunk of Italian white bread with butter. Mmm.

C: is for Cereal what is your favorite kind currently (just one!)
I love the Compliments "Balance" brand granola. I eat it almost every morning. Any of their varieties are good.

D: is for Doughnuts, you might not currently be eating them but what kind do you fancy?
I’m not a huge donut fan, but I could devour an entire box of Sour Cream Glazed.

E: is for Eggs, how would you like yours prepared?
Scrambled! With lots of fun toppings like veggies and olives and cheese.

F: is for Fat Free, what is your favorite fat free product?
I don't think I buy anything marketed as 'fat free.' I think fat free milk products (yogurt, cheese) are gross, likewise for salad dressings and other random stuff. Oh, I guess the one thing I do eat is TWIZZLERS. Shaun is addicted so we almost always have some in our house.

G: is for Groceries, where do you purchase yours at?
I mix it up a lot. Foodland, Bloor Street Market, The Big Carrot, Loblaws, Metro, Masselli's -- I always combine groceries with whatever else I'm doing so it totally just depends where I am.

H: is for Hot Beverages, what is your favorite hot drink?
Coffee, far and away. I could live with never having any other hot beverage again, but I could never give up coffee.

I: is for Ice Cream, pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.
Cookies and cream! Oh my gosh, that stuff is so good. I actually never add toppings though. Although sometimes if I'm eating plain vanilla I will crumble a cookie on top to make my own version of Cookies And Cream.

J: is for Jams or Jellies, do you eat them, and if so what kind and flavor?
I eat them once in awhile, I guess my favourite is actually apricot preserves. Gosh I feel really poncy saying that. In my head I just said "apricot preserves" with a snooty British accent.

K: is for Kashi, name your favorite Kashi product?
Hmm, I guess I like their Go-Lean cereals. Oh, and those granola bars with the pumpkin on them. I totally forgot about those until right this second!

L: is for Lunch, what was yours today?
I haven't eaten lunch yet today, but yesterday was a trainwreck -- half a box of Vegetable Thins with some salsa, and a Starbucks Frappucino. Someone put me out of my misery.

M: is for microwave, what is your favorite microwave meal/snack?
I do a lot in the microwave! My favourite is to cook an egg or bake or a sweet potato.

N: is for nutrients, do you like carbs, fats, or proteins best?
Mmm, carbs. Although it is the combination of carbs and fats that really does me in: macaroni and cheese, greasy potato chips, buttery popcorn, any kind of baked goods...

O: is for oil, what kind do you like to use?
Typically olive, although I got a salad the other day that has totally rekindled my love of SESAME OIL.

P: is for protein, how do you get yours?
Lots of chicken, eggs, tofu and yogurt.

Q: is for Quaker, how do you like your oats?
I almost always eat my oats exactly the same way. I cook 1/3 cup of oats with 2/3 cup of water, in the microwave for 1:10. Then stir in about a tsp of brown sugar, some cinnamon, and about 1/3 cup of cottage cheese. Top with about 1/2 cup of fresh of frozen (thawed) fruit, some shredded coconut, and flax meal. So good. I could eat this forever.

R: is for roasting, what is your favorite thing to roast?
Sweet potatoes! They make the best oven fries.

S: is for sandwich, what’s your favorite kind?
I LOVE breakfast sandwiches. I microwave an egg and add some cheese, spinach, tomato, and throw it on a sandwich thin.

T: is for travel, how do you handle eating while traveling?
I have a whole philosophy about how to eat when I travel. Mostly it involves eating for ultimate enjoyment. So that might mean treating myself to fabulous desserts, fancy drinks, unhealthy entrees -- whatever will make the experience better. But it ALSO means I try not to eat to the point of feeling overly stuffed, because then that kills the experience.

U: is for unique, what is one of your weirdest food combos?
I love the combo of salty / sweet or savoury / sweet, so I probably eat a lot of things people find weird. Like I will make a regular wrap with chicken, tomatoes, spinach, cheese, sprouts -- and then I will smear the whole thing with apricot preserves. (Yes, I totally just said that in a British accent again.)

V: is for vitamins, what kind do you take?
NONE! Very bad.

W: is for wasabi, yay or nay?
yay, with a lowercase y. It's good but only so sparingly. I also had wasabi mayonaise on a big walnut mushroom veggie-burger once, THAT was awesome.

X: is for XRAY. if we xrayed your belly right now, what food would we see?
Coffee and a pumpkin scone. Is anyone shocked by that?

Y: is for youth, what food reminds you of your childhood?
Specific stuff my mom used to make: her spaghetti sauce, pork chops with mushroom sauce, her amazing stuffing that she made at Christmas, her 'fruit cocktail cake', sugar cookies. Mmmm, I miss my mom. Some packaged stuff reminds me of being a kid too, like "Lunchables", ice cream cones, and those packaged snack cakes like Joe Louis.

Z: is for zucchini, how do you prepare it?
I love zucchini. I love it grilled and plain, or I like to shred it into 'pasta' -- I use a carrot peeler -- and then saute it with a wedge of Laughing Cow. Mmmm.

YOUR TURN.
Pick a letter and tell me what YOU like! Or let me know if you fill this out on your own blog. I love reading about what other people eat.