Thursday, August 25, 2011

thunder only happens when it's raining.

Yesterday I got caught in a thunderstorm. Rain poured down and lightening lit up the sky and three of us huddled under a blue gingham umbrella. The talk centred around storms and someone mentioned prairie thunderstorms and someone else said that was one thing she wanted to do in her life, was to see a prairie thunderstorm. They are reportedly epic.

I want to see a prairie thunderstorm. There is so much I want to see and do. I want to see a prairie thunderstorm and I want to see the Northern Lights and I want to go to Churchill, Manitoba, and watch the polar bear migration. I want to go to California and swim in the Pacific Ocean and I want to see the Grand Canyon and I want to drive up Route 66 and read Jack Kerouac and eat at small American diners and drink cheap American beer. I want to eat croissants in Paris and real Cajun food in New Orleans. I want to eat fried bananas in Thailand, and I want to ride the subway in Tokyo and I want to see the Mona Lisa. I want to paddle up a river in Costa Rica, and I want to see a real Broadway show and I want to go to Newfoundland and get screeched in.

I feel immobilized sometimes, by everything I want to see and do. There is so much to see and do in this world. SO MUCH.

I want to see a prairie thunderstorm. I want to see a prairie thunder but last night, in Toronto, lightening struck the earth 500 times a minute. Read that again. Lightening struck the earth 500 times. a. minute. And I was there and I saw it and I will remember it.