Monday, December 15, 2008

whoever came up the idea of putting frosting on cookies is my new nemesis.

Oy. Oy oy oy.

I hate the expression 'fell off the wagon'. I hate when people go a bit over their points and claim they 'fell off the wagon.' That expression makes it seem like it's then going to be so hard to get back ON the wagon. I picture an actual wagon and it's heading on down the road without you, and it makes me shudder because I can feel how hard it would be to pick yourself up and going chasing that wagon down the street, how tempting it would be to just lie there in the dust a little longer.

So I refuse to use that analogy here. But the truth is, I did screw up a bit this weekend, thanks to a Christmas party and a dinner with friends.

The dinner on Friday was hard. I was invited over to the home of two friends who know I'm following WW. They have followed WW in the past, and sometimes still cook from the recipe books, etc, so I assumed we'd be having a nice, healthy dinner. Only I got there to find out they'd decided at the last minute not to cook, and instead to order INDIAN food. I hadn't planned for such a heavy meal so I didn't have nearly enough points left for the day. I ended up using about 25 of my flex points that night.

I know it's not their fault, that I'm the one who put the food in my mouth, and still chose to drink wine, etc, but is it wrong that I'm also kind of disappointed that they would put me in that situation? Including ordering me a lamb samosa even after I said I DEFINITELY did not want one?

Anyway, the Christmas party later on the weekend was truly my own fault. I made a rookie mistake and showed up famished, thinking they'd have sushi and veggies as they usually do, but instead it was all cookies and cheese and chicken wings. Three things I LOVE. So by the end of the night, when all was said and done, I ended up needing to use another 13 flex points, which, if you're doing the math, you'll see is three more than I even had left to use. So now it's only Monday and I've already used all my flex points plus three extra. And I still have my office party on Thursday.

I just feel so shitty about the whole thing. I feel like I failed my first real test. I'm proud of myself for still tracking and journaling everything, and I definitely am not 'off the wagon', but I wish I could get a do-over on this whole weekend.

What I AM going to do is take an hour-long walk after work, to earn three activity points, so I don't have those three over-used flex points hanging over me. I know technically you're supposed to earn the points before you eat them, but I think going for the walk is the best I can do to mitigate the situation now. So that's what I'm going to do. And I'm going to try to remember how crappy I feel today, when I'm at Thursday office party. Hopefully that will be enough to discourage me from over-indulging again.

Anyway, hope everyone else had a good weekend! Thank goodness Christmas only comes once a year!