Wednesday, January 14, 2009

foil is my new best friend.

Yesterday I managed to make something pretty good for dinner -- it definitely fit in with my 'comfort food' thing, AND it was easy and quick. It was this recipe for Quick Beef Stew In Foil. Kind of amazing -- you just mix all the ingredients together (cubed beef, chopped potato, veggies, and a bit of gravy), wrap them up in foil, and then bake in the oven for half an hour. For some reason I didn't really believe it would work, but it totally did!

It's the perfect amount for two people (I figured the whole thing to be 14 pts) AND there's no pot to clean afterwards. I liked it a lot, and my sweetie loved it. I will definitely make this one again. I've been thinking of different ingredient combos too. Yesterday, in addition to the frozen mixed veggies they call for, I also added some quartered mushrooms, and chopped broccoli, but I'm also thinking you could use pork or poultry instead of beef, sweet potatoes instead of regular, and so on and so on!

I also tracked down a really old WW cookbook I have called Pure Comfort. I brought it to work today so I could flip through it on my lunch, and hopefully find something else yummy to make for dinner tonight.

Cooking is such a big part of weightloss for me. I find there are so few 'convenience' foods that are both low in points AND satisfying, but cooking makes it so easy. In fact, the days I cook and really plan out my meals, I often have a hard time hitting my points target for the day. In a lot of ways, it's been easier for me to think about this 'lifestyle change' as not being about weightloss at all, but instead as being about learning to not rely on convenience foods, and instead prepare things for myself.

Of course, today I have the world's laziest lunch: a pb&j sandwich, with two cheese strings and a pear. But we take it one meal at a time, right? One meal at a time.