Tuesday, January 6, 2009

knit one.

My knitting class last night was so fun! I made a teeny tiny thumb-less mitten. When I got home I made my cat try it on (though strangely she did not find this as amusing as I did.) Anyway, most importantly it rekindled my love of knitting, which I sorely needed.

I was already getting stressed about this winter, because nothing seemed to really interest me -- I was bored of watching TV and movies, and crafts didn't seem that entertaining anymore either. I spent a lot of the fall playing World of Warcraft (hmm, I suppose I just outed myself as a nerd there, didn't I?), but that had gotten boring too. You know when you just hit that point where you feel, I don't know, just existentially bored? Of everything? Anyway, it seemed like it was going to be a long winter.

But last night totally revved up my 'knitting engine' if you know what I mean. I'm excited to get started on some mittens, and I'm thinking of taking the Socks 101 class from the same woman, in March. I might even build up the courage to tackle an even bigger project like, gasp, a sweater. Well, maybe I'll start with a sweater vest. Less, um, sleeves.

Anyway, the reason I'm talking about this on a weight-loss blog is because I think it's so important to have hobbies if you're trying to lose weight. It's not just about being busy (though keeping your hands occupied is definitely a bonus), but it's important to have that time for yourself. It's important to feel productive and creative, to be able to relax on your own and do something you enjoy.

A LOT of us eat because we're lonely or bored, and having hobbies you love can help with that. It'll never eliminate it entirely, but it definitely helps. For me, for now, it's going to be knitting. What are your favourite things to do in your free time?