Wednesday, January 28, 2009

the value of 'hard'.

Work's been so busy the past couple of days, and I don't have much time to post but things are still going well.

Something happened this morning that was pretty cool. I have this t-shirt that I bought a few years ago at Old Navy, and it's been my "sleep t-shirt" ever since. It's just so comfy! Anyway, it fit great when I bought it, but this summer, I noticed it completely did NOT fit anymore. It had gotten so small (or more accurately, I had gotten so big) that it would no longer fall nicely around my hips, and instead sit all bunched up on my waist. Come on, pears, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, this morning I got up and as I was hovering around in front of the closet trying to decide what to wear, I noticed something amazing: my shirt was actually hanging properly around my hips! It fits again!

Wheeeee!

Here is the amazing thing I'm realizing: I CAN DO THIS. We all can. I spent so long thinking that I couldn't: I love food too much, I have a bad back, I don't have enough money to buy healthy food, I don't have a car and it's too hard to stock up on groceries, blah blah blah blah.

I have this friend who is a registered massage therapist, and one night she was complaining about a couple of her clients who never want their massage to 'hurt' at all. And she was frustrated by this because sometimes you really have to work the muscles to get them right again, and sometimes that's going to hurt a bit, but because they were so scared of that she couldn't really help them. And she said, "People are so afraid of any discomfort, or of anything being hard. They don't realize that sometimes that's the way you have to go to get where you want to be."

A lot of things 'clicked' for me then. How much I avoid anything that's hard. How even the slightest bit of stress sends me out to find cookies. How sweating even a little is a little too much.

But something happened that day, I don't know. I embraced the idea of 'hard'. I stopped connecting 'hard' with 'bad' or 'undesirable'.

Losing weight IS hard. It takes real work. But that doesn't mean it's 'too hard'. That doesn't mean we can't do it. We CAN do it. All of us can.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding preachy! I'm partly writing this so I'll have it to read later, on some day when I'm (inevitably) going to be all I HATE THINGS THAT ARE HARD SOMEONE PASS ME A DOOOONNNNNUTTTTTT.

For now though -- for now, bring it on. :)