Monday, February 23, 2009

getting fit with your inner nerd.

I’m thinking about buying a Heart Rate Monitor this week. Nothing too fancy but one that will show me how many calories I burn when I workout. Does anybody else have one? Do you like it?

I know I probably don’t *need* one, and it’s just another little gadget, but I figure … anything to make this whole process more fun right?

I think I probably have some mild OCD or something, but I love stuff like that. I love seeing things accumulate. I know lots of people hate it, but I LOVE tracking. I get the 3-month tracking journal and I love writing down everything I eat, seeing the pages fill up and the weeks fill out. I love checking off the boxes for fruits and veggies, lean protein, liquids. I love filling in my new weight at the end of the week. It’s such an easy way to feel a sense of accomplishment.

I loved my pedometer too, and seeing my steps add up, but I haven’t had much luck with them. Both the ones I had were not very accurate – one tracked too few steps, and one tracked too many. (Hmm, maybe I should just start wearing them both, and take an average between them…)

So I think an HRM would suit me, and my ‘weight loss personality’. I guess I’m just trying to justify it to myself because it’s over $100. But surely my health is worth $100? Right? RIGHT?