Wednesday, April 8, 2009

booty camp, day 1!



Last night was my first session of the Booty Camp Fitness thing I signed up for.

To be honest, I was kind of dreading it. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to keep up, that I would spend a lot of time just standing there, staring at the instructor and wishing for death, but the reality was not that bad! In fact, I’d say I kept up pretty well. The warm-up started with five minutes of jogging in place, and my calves started to cramp about 3/4 of the way in and I got pretty worried – when you can’t even make it through the warm-up, that usually means trouble. But we moved into squats and lunges after that, and I’m actually pretty decent at those, thanks to the 30-Day Shred. The instructor even told me my form during the squats was ‘perfect’!

After the squats and lunges, we did some football drills, some floor/core work, about 15 minutes of cardio (punches and kicks, alternating with skipping and jumping jacks), then finished up with a bunch of ab work.

It was an hour of torture, but I got through pretty well. Sure, I stopped lots of times and just marched in place so I could catch my breath, or I modified the movement a little to make it easier, but I noticed pretty much everyone else doing the same thing at various points. Surprisingly, it was the mostly just the ab stuff at the end that I really couldn’t get through – they hold the plank pose for a whole minute! I can do about, oh, 3.5 seconds. It was seriously pathetic.

After the class they took everyone’s measurements (triceps, chest, waist, hips, butt, and thighs), as well as calliper measurements (back of the arm, tummy, and thigh). They’ll take them again at the end of the four weeks, so I’ll be curious to see the results! (I’ll post them here, of course, for anyone that’s interested.) Then I also have the option of signing up for another four weeks, which I’m thinking about.

All in all, I liked the experience. The instructor was nice, it was fun to work out with friends (I signed up with two of my lady friends), and according to my heart rate monitor (which I wore, like the nerd that I am!) I burned just over 700 calories! Yippee!

So overall, thumbs-up. We’ll see how I feel after tomorrow’s class though, considering my thighs are already whimpering. :)