Tuesday, May 12, 2009

do you eat when you're not hungry?

One thing I’ve been working on a LOT over the last six months is to really train myself to only eat when I’m hungry. That seems like a good idea, right? It eliminates emotional eating, mindless snacking, etc. BUT in the last couple weeks (as I’m sure all know), my weight isn’t really moving. And I actually think it might be because I’m not eating enough.

Right now my week kind of goes like this:

Friday is the highest point day, and is also my ‘off’ day from working out. We usually order take-out and drink a bottle of wine, or head to the pub for fries and beer. Not the greatest, I know! But I look forward to it all week and it’s my only real ‘splurge’ day. So I usually end up using about 20 of my flex points that night.

Then the rest of the week, I end up coming about 2 to 5 points UNDER my daily target. I just have my day planned out so well now that I can comfortably get by on 23-26 points (my target is 28.) That routine was really working for me up until recently, and I was losing a pretty steady average of 1.5lbs per week. But lately I’ve started working out a LOT more, burning close to 3000 calories in a week (and more, now when I do the Couch To 5K!). But I’m still eating the same amount of points. And I’m not losing.

So, I don’t know, does that sound like I’m not eating enough? I almost hate myself for even thinking that because it just seems like lame wishful thinking. Like I’m one of those girls who’s sitting around saying, “I know he’s gonna call, he’s just really focused on work right now!” and you want to smack them over the head with a copy of “He’s Just Not That Into You”. Does that analogy even make sense?! It makes sense in my head, anyway.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah, so if I AM not eating enough, I don’t know how to fix that! Whenever I give myself permission to start thinking about eating more, my mind instantly starts going to things like cake and chips and mojitos. That’s dangerous territory for me, and frankly I don’t want to throw all that crap back in! I’d much prefer to eat healthier stuff, but I just don’t feel that hungry during the day, and all along I've been operating on the premise that's not good to eat when you aren't hungry. (But maybe my lack of hunger is even a sign that I’m not eating enough? That I’ve slowed my metabolism too much? Because let me tell you, I’m working out a LOT but I certainly don’t feel any of that extra energy that people always go on about!)

I don’t know, I know most of you are just figuring your way through this the same as I am, but if anyone has any thoughts on this, I’d love to hear them!