Tuesday, June 23, 2009

WI results and vacation eating.

Today was weigh-in day, but you’re going to have to read to the end to find out how I did. Or, okay, just scroll down if you’re really desperate to know.

*****

I wrote a whole long post before I left about vacation eating, and what my strategies were gonna be, but in the end, I just kind of ended up doing whatever.

The good things I did were:

- No snacking. I never ate until I was realllly hungry. So yes, I ate a Starbucks muffin for breakfast, and Panda Express for dinner, but those were the only things I ate alllll day.
- Despite the picture of me with the giant margarita, I mostly did stick to light beer, or the occasional glass of sangria or red wine.
- Only on two occasions did I eat to the point where I felt OVERLY full. All other times I stopped when I felt done.
- Walked a lot, and swam lengths in the pool in the mornings.


The bad things I did were:

- No snacking. I never ate until I was reallllly hungry. Which meant my ‘lack-of-food panic’ thing kicked in full blast. I’m pretty good at managing those feelings here at home – where I KNOW off hand lots of places to get healthy filling food. But in a strange city, the panic got a bit unbearable, and I usually found myself picking Wendy’s or greasy Chinese.
- ‘Splurged’ on boring things I could get anywhere, like Frosties from Wendy’s, and Starbucks glazed donuts.
- Didn’t drink nearly enough water.
- Didn’t walk as much as planned, although it was because Shaun pulled a muscle in his back just before we left, so obviously I wasn’t going to make him trek all over creation. So we took cabs and stayed closer to our hotel than we might have otherwise.

I did track everything I ate, as I said I would. Most days I seemed to eat around 60 points, which seems shocking to me, but beer and fries sure do add up. Before we left, I still had all my flex points, and a bank of about 30 activity points, so that took care of some of my indulgences, and I figure I probably earned about 8-10 activity points every day from walking around.

So how did I do? Well, by some miracle or fluke of nature …

I LOST 2 lbs!

I mean, WTF. Bodies make no sense! No sense whatsoever!


*** Okay, I want to add a disclaimer here, because I know if I was reading this post I would actually get kind of bummed, like, 'how come this person eats whatever she wants and still loses and I bust my ass and don't lose?!?!' Trust me, I totally get it. But the truth is, I've had pathetic losses (and even a gain!) over the last four weeks, despite, yes, busting my ass. Even though it's 'calories in, calories out', bodies do crazy things sometimes like hold on to a bunch of weight and then let it go all at once. I think my 'lucky' week just happened to coincide with my vacation. I am by no means taking this as a 'sign' that I should continue to eat whatever I want, and I hope no one reading this does either. This loss is the result of several weeks of hard work, not one week of indulging.

I hope that doesn't sound 'preachy'. I just felt like I should clarify because I know how annoying it is to hear about people eating like crazy and then losing weight.