Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a day of food blogging!

Hello everyone! SO, I have a little ‘surprise’ for you. I’ve decided that, for accountability’s sake, I’m going to blog all my food for this week. (So I’ll let you decide whether this is a ‘good surprise’ or a ‘bad surprise’. Ha ha!) For now I’m just committing to this for the week, but we’ll see how it goes. I do have to say, it’s much harder than it looks! Props to you guys who do this every day. Wow.

Okay, let’s start with breakfast. I had my ‘usual’ (or usual for the past couple of weeks at least):

Pumpkin oats!
feb210-1

Now I have a small confession which is that this was my first FAIL as a food blogger: I totallly forgot to take a picture of my breakfast! So this is actually a photo I snapped a couple of weekends ago. Same idea, although this time mine didn’t have any coconut on top.
I used:
  • 1/3 cups oats
  • 2/3 cups original almond breeze
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup cottage cheese
  • little bit of brown sugar, little bit of pumpkin pie spice
So filling!

On the way to work I stopped and picked up an essential:

feb210-1

A tall bold, with milk and a Splenda.

That was it until lunch, when I had The Best Salad Ever Because It Had Avocado And Avocado Is Awesome.

feb210-1-2
This massive bowl of salad is one of my all-time favourites, with
  • 2 cups spring mix
  • handful of cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 of a tiny avocado
  • 1/2 cup crab meat
  • 1/2 cup brown rice
  • 1 tbsp fig balsamic vinaigrette
A little while later I snacked on an apple. Sorry for the uninspired picture. It is what it is!

feb210-1-6

And not long after that I grabbed another coffee to enjoy during our staff meeting. I have no brand loyalty! Second Cup is in the building, so Second Cup it will be.

feb210-1-3

After work I headed to the gym for a quick and dirty workout. I only had time for 30 minutes, because I’m cat-sitting this week and had to head across town afterwards to check on the little guy. So I’m proud of myself for going, despite the rush (and the snow storm that started!) After my workout I had a banana and a tablespoon of almond butter spread (which I may blog about later) to tide me over.

feb210-6

(There is something about eating brown bruised bananas that makes me feel really virtuous. Isn’t that funny? I think I feel like a good salt-of-the-earth person who doesn’t let things go to waste (even though that is a total lie.))

Anyway! I got home late (8:30!) but I figured I still had time to whip up something good. Jaime posted about broccoli soup the other day, which put it in my mind, and then I happened to come across a recipe that used oatmeal as a thickener! Sold!

This recipe came from Great Food Fast.

feb210-7
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1.5 lbs broccoli, chopped
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Saute the onion in the oil, add the nutmeg, add the chicken stock and water, add the oatmeal, simmer for two minutes, add the broccoli. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, continue to simmer for about 10 minutes, till broccoli is cooked. Pound away with your immersion blender till you start feeling a bit dirty. The whole pot makes 5.5 cups and is a mere 5 points, so about 1pt per cup!

It tasted pretty good but a bit too salty. I think it’s my soup stock, I keep having this problem. Must find a lower sodium version. I did like the flavour of the soup though, the nutmeg was quite nice, so I added a little extra on top.

As you can see, I enjoyed my bowl of soup with a toasted sandwich thin topped with almond butter and apricot preserves.

feb210-8

PHEW. God, I am exhausted just typing all that! Thankfully tomorrow will feature some ‘repeat eats’ so hopefully that post will not be QUITE so long.

Goodnight, all!