Sunday, May 2, 2010

Clean Eating Challenge – Day 7

One week down, one to go! So far this challenge has been pretty good. It’s required more work, energy and money than I’d anticipated, but I feel pretty good. The good thing is, I’ve come to the conclusion that what I was eating before was actually pretty good. In fact, following this plan has actually DECREASED my vegetable consumption, and upped my bread / cheese consumption. Weird, right?

So if anything, the take-away here will be that I have a better handle on my eating than I give myself credit for.

Anyway, onto today’s meals.

Sadly I woke up this morning to find that my camera had been on overnight, and the battery had died. But picture:

  • 3/4 cup muesli
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup blueberries

Was very good. I wasn’t too hungry for a snack though, so I waited awhile and then just had lunch.

  • 2 cups spring mix
  • chopped tomato
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • 2 chopped dates
  • 1 wedge laughing cow cheese
  • balsamic vinegar

It was actually supposed to be a tofu salad, but I had some extra beans from the other day that I wanted to use up. I never would have mixed beans and dates and laughing cow before but this was very good!

I had it with two lavash crackers.

 may02-1

Dessert was another 1/4 cup blueberries. I thought that didn’t seem like much, but when you measure it out, you can really get quite a lot of blueberries in a 1/4 cup!

may02-2

This afternoon Shaun and I decided to go on a little adventure. Shaun has had a driver’s license for years, but he gave up his car when he moved to downtown Toronto a few years ago, so he doesn’t have much city driving experience. He’s wanted to get some practice in though, so earlier this year he joined ZipCar, and today we decided to rent a car for a couple hours and take a little drive.

He picked out a cute red Smart Car! FUN!

may02-3

Sadly, our adventure was not meant to be! We are new to the car renting thing and totally forgot to give the car a check before we left – we got about 6 blocks before a another driver (in another Smart Car!) flagged us down to tell us our back tire was completely FLAT.

We pulled into the first parking lot and called Zip Car. Unfortunately, since it’s such a small car there’s no room to store a spare tire. We found a tire repair kit, but OF COURSE someone had wedged the hubcap on incorrectly (probably after noticing it was flat LAST time – and then not reporting it! Grrrr.) So we couldn’t get it off, and Zip Car told us to wait for road-side assistance, which was going to be TWO HOURS. AHHHH.

It was the stupidest thing ever. We were literally six blocks away from home. And we couldn’t leave the car because we were in a tow zone.

While we were waiting I enjoyed my snack. An apple and a hard-boiled egg.

may02-4 may02-5

Thankfully, after an hour or so, Shaun managed to get the hubcap off. We did the tire-sealing thing and hightailed it home. No drive for us! Ha ha ha!

I whipped up dinner as soon as we got in.

This was:

  • 3/4 chick peas
  • chopped tomato
  • chopped shallot
  • red wine vinegar
  • sesame oil

Pretty good. Would have been great with a bit of parsley or something.

may02-6

With that I had a turkey burger (just ground turkey), on a sandwich thin, with tomato, lettuce, and a wedge of Laughing Cow.

may02-7

That’s it for food!

One final thing: a huge congrats to KAT for running a 10K today! The very observant of you may remember that I was supposed to run this race as well. I decided a couple weeks ago that I was not going to. Running has sort of lost its novelty for me. I was not really enjoying it anymore, and I was getting much more satisfaction out of the other stuff I’ve been doing, like boot camp and yoga. I just didn’t feel any pull towards running anymore.

And I guess, when you get down to it, running has always been a ‘push’ thing for me, you know? Something hard that I forced myself to do, because I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment I’d feel afterwards. But lately I’ve been trying to listen to my body more, and and do more of what it wants me to do, rather than trying to force it to do what I want it to. You know?

So that’s me and running, these days. I may come back to it some day, because it’s a GREAT activity. It’s just not where I’m at these days.