Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Clean Eating Challenge – Day 9

Long day! Let’s get to it!

Breakfast was about 3/4 cup of greek yogurt, a cup of Kashi cereal, and a cup of sliced strawberries. This was good! I’ve been missing my oatmeal the last few days, but this was a nice cold substitute.

 

  may04-1

Snack was a banana and some walnuts. I did it up all pretty for you. :)

 

may04-2

Funny story: I didn’t have any bananas so this morning on my way to work, after I stopped at Starbucks, I stopped at the little fruit market next door and, uh, I think I got asked out? I got super flustered and it was awkward! Ha ha!

Lunch was a delicious sandwich – extra lean ham, some light cheddar, a few steamed asparagus spears and some mustard, on rye bread. I broiled it a little in the toaster oven at work to make it a bit melty. It was soooo good! I never take sandwiches to work and now I’m wondering why not!

 

may04-3

I had a cup of black grapes afterwards but I guess I forgot to take a picture!

Snack was supposed to be a serving of baked blue corn chips, but as I mentioned previously, I can’t really buy chips due to my little ‘addiction’ to them, so I just had two of these lavash crackers, with hummus.

 

may04-4

Dinner … okay, here’s the story with dinner. On the menu was: gazpacho. Confession: I HATE gazpacho. Well, strictly speaking what I hate is tomato juice. I hate hate hate tomato juice. There are VERY few foods I hate but that is one of them – it makes me gag!

So since the beginning of this challenge, I’ve been thinking about this damn gazpacho. I had sort of decided I would make it anyway, and just see how it went. So I bought some tomato juice – and I gagged just putting it in my cart! Oy. Then I got it home and couldn’t bare to look at it, I left it in the grocery bag. I know that sounds completely crazy but that’s how much I hate it.

So I finally had to admit defeat: no gazpacho. But I really did try! So what I did instead was just use most of the same ingredients (minus the tomato juice of course!) and made it into a salad. Much better!

So this had:

  • chopped plum tomatoes
  • chopped cucumber
  • chopped shallots
  • roasted red pepper
  • bay scallops
  • bunch of cilantro
  • lemon juice
  • red wine vinegar

 

may04-5

I served it on a bed of spring mix, along with some avocado.

may04-6

The plan also called for a slice of rye bread dipped in a tsp of olive oil. I added a little balsamic vinegar for fanciness. I felt like I was in a restaurant! Fun!

 

may04-7

This was all pretty good although I’m not totally sure I cooked the scallops enough. I hope I don’t die! (If you don’t see a blog post tomorrow, pls send help.)