Tuesday, July 5, 2011

joy.

This weekend Shaun asked me to marry him. I said yes.

Although I knew it was coming, I still squealed my way through the entire proposal.


I can’t believe I’m going to marry this amazing guy. I have never in my life known someone so supportive, so genuine, so kind, so dedicated, so talented – I could go on, but I’ll try to keep the gushing to a minimum. Suffice it to say that he’s the best. Sorry other guys, but it’s true.

Among other things, I love that his first reaction -- his gut reaction -- in any situation is to HELP. For instance, after the proposal I got on the phone with my mom, and Shaun offered to run to Starbucks to grab us a couple of iced coffees. Nice already, right? While he was there, he saw a woman outside with a little kid who was throwing up, so while he was in the Starbucks he bought them a bottle of water and brought out a bunch of napkins. Because that is just the kind of guy he is – kind, thoughtful, amazing. When there was screaming outside our house one night, Shaun rushed right outside, while I hemmed and hawed. When we are crossing the street and a car zooms around the corner, his first move is to throw his arm out in front of my chest, to stop me from taking a step forward. A day doesn't go by that he isn't helping a woman with a stroller get down the subway stairs, or helping someone with a suitcase, or a grocery cart. And the funniest part is, he doesn't even think about these things, and would probably be embarrassed to know I was talking about them. 

That kind of goodness runs soul-deep. He inspires me every day to be a better person, to work harder for what I want, to dream of bigger things.

I can’t believe I’m going to be his wife. That he’s going to be my husband. That we get to spend the rest of our lives together, being partners in a game we make up as we go.


I wanted to write that I feel so different now, but I don’t, not really. I feel just like myself, but with a sweet buzz of joy that burns through everything. And I think that’s the best feeling in the world.