Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Clean Eating Challenge – Day 3

Whew. Je suis une sleepy girl ce soir. How do you like that BILINGUALISM? What can I say, I grew up in New Brunswick! :)

I’ll make this quick because I still have to get a bunch of stuff ready for tomorrow.

 

Breakfast today called for:

  • 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup Alpen no-sugar-added cereal (muesli)
  • 3/4 cup sliced grapes

 apr28-1

To be honest, I thought I’d kinda have to choke this down, because I’m not really the hugest fan of cottage cheese. I used to hate it completely, but I now like to add it to my oatmeal – so I AM coming around, but I wasn’t sure about a big ole bowl of it. But as long as I got some grape in each bite, it was pretty good! And definitely kept me full for a lonnnnnng time.

 

apr28-2

Snack was an apple and wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. I found this kind of apple I’d never seen before called ‘Red Prince’ – turns out it’s a new Ontario apple made only in Thornbury, ON. It was pretty good – it was kinda tart but also had some of the sweetness like Red Delicious apples. Pretty good. I call this photo “Red Prince and Red Pen” – I ate my snack while doing a bunch of copy editing at work. :)

Lunch called for “Tortilla Bruschetta”. It was okay but I thought it was a pretty small lunch? All my coworkers were totally jealous and I looked pretty fancy assembling all this at the toaster oven.

 

apr28-3

This was pretty much what you’d guess: chopped tomato, garlic, basil, and a smidge of oil. It called for a HALF CUP of mozzarella but WHAT? So I had it with a slice of provolone and a mini babybel. (Seriously are you surprised at the amount of CHEESE this plan seems to call for? Because I am!)

apr28-4

Dessert = a cup of canteloupe. Always a winner.

Snack was two lavash crackers with 2 tbsp. of almond butter. Am I the only person who gets nervous / weirdly excited eating 2 tbsp of nut butter? It’s so high in points that I’m always so strict with myself when I portion it out.

apr28-5

I got home pretty late tonight (almost 9), and I found myself cursing this plan a bit on the way home, wishing I could just stop and grab a sub. :) So I’m glad I committed publicly to you guys, otherwise I totally (probably) would have gotten a sub.

Dinner tonight was:

  • 1 cup lettuce
  • 1/2 cup cucumber
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 4 oz. grilled pork

apr28-6

I’m pretty sure the lettuce and cucumber were meant to be a side salad, and then the meal was the quinoa, beans, and pork, but I just threw everything together in a bowl. I drizzled it all with balsamic vinegar but it was really lacking something. I wish I’d had some salsa, maybe.

Incidentally, this was my first time cooking quinoa and MAJOR FAIL. No idea what I did wrong. It tasted ok, I guess but it just didn’t cook properly. My timing or water ratio or something was totally off, even though I followed the directions on the package. Oh well! You win some, you lose some!

Okay, mes ami. C’est bed time pour moi.

(If you missed my original post, you can read it here. I’ll be spending the next two weeks eating from Clean Eating’s 2-week plan to shake up my routine.)